The term “Bucket-list” simply means a list of things you want and hope to do before you die. It is a list of goals and dreams you want to achieve in Life before you die. The truth is we spend most of our time caught in the hurry of our day to day activities and actually forget to live. creating a bucket list will kind of remind us to have fun at life and also set a time frame to achieve the goals.
The objective of creating this list isn’t to instill some kind of race against time but to have a guideline to achieve goals. So if you don’t have a bucket list, I advise you get one. How much will it cost? Zero naira. How long will it take? 30 minutes or 1 hour if you really get caught up in writing it. What do you stand to gain? Clarity and focus on what you want from your life.
If you already have your list, take this opportunity to review it. See if there are new items you want to add-on. If so, add them in. Check if all the items listed are still relevant. If not, remove them.
Factors to consider before writing a bucket list are:
- What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you wish you could do before you die?
- What would you do if you had unlimited time, money and resources?
- What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
- Any countries, places or locations you want to visit?
- What are your biggest goals and dreams?
- What do you want to see in person?
- What achievements do you want to have?
- What experiences do you want to have/feel?
- Are there any special moments you want to witness?
- What activities or skills do you want to learn or try out?
- What are the most important things you can ever do?
- What would you like to say/do together with other people? People you love? Family? Friends?
- Are there any specific people you want to meet in person?
- What do you want to achieve in the different areas: Social, Love, Family, Career, Finance, Health (Your weight, Fitness level), Spiritual?
- What do you need to do to live a life of the greatest meaning?
Come up with as many items as you can. The items should be things you have not done yet but this article is about suggesting 5 things that should make that list.
- Owning your own property that generates income before age 40.
A property that generates income can be a form of financial security and to have it early in life is a huge bonus. Don’t beat yourself up if you can’t meet up with age 40 though, but striving towards it is not a bad idea.
- Travel to at least 50 countries.
Travelling exposes you to different cultures, broaden your mind, move you out of your comfort zone and help you meet new people. We have 195 countries in the world, traveling to at least 50 out of those is not a bad idea at all. You can make it more than 50 if you have the resources.
- Learn a foreign language.
There are about 6,500 different spoken languages in the world, learning a different one apart from your mother tongue and the official language is a good idea. It exposes you to learning the creativity embedded in other people’s cultures.
- Try a Profession in a Different Field
What profession are you in now and how long have you been doing this? Is it time for a change in profession? It’s nice to do something different from what you have been doing, and it doesn’t have to involve quitting your current job — you can always experiment with volunteer work in a field you enjoy or start up a part-time business on the side. It’s all about expanding your horizon and trying something new.
- Let Someone Know How Much They Mean To You
Life is short; we don’t get to live forever. In the course of life, we learn to love, hurt, forgive and heal but in all these, it is essential we express these feelings. You don’t want to wake up one day and discover how fleeting life really is, by then, it might be too late to express those feelings. Let someone special know how special they are to you.